new logo
News Banner


Registering for the Goods Vehicle Movement Service

The rules for businesses moving goods through UK ports are changing.

Government guidance states “If you’re a haulier that moves goods into Great Britain from the EU, you currently only need to use the goods vehicle movement service if your goods are moving under the Common Transit Convention or transit”

Goods Vehicle Movement Service photo

From 1st January 2022 you must be registered for the UK government’s Goods Vehicle Movement Service to move any goods into or out of a UK port that uses the service.

Businesses will be required to provide a goods movement reference number (MRN) which will enable customs authorities to process your shipment and avoid delays.

To register for the Goods Vehicle Movement Service, you will need a Government Gateway user ID and password: If you do not have one you can create one at HMRC Services.

You should register for the goods vehicle movement service as soon as possible before the 1st January 2022 deadline. Access registration here.

You will then be able to get a goods movement reference.

You can find more information about how to import and export goods on the government’s website.

Disclaimer: The information in this article is provided for general information only and does not constitute legal or professional advice. We cannot accept responsibility or liability for any actions you may take, or not take, based on this information.

accaae td goldae pd style=ae pcd
Cunningtons QuickBooks LogoxeroDext P cert social 2

Contact Us

Chartered Certified Accountants & Registered Auditors
Edward House
Grange Business Park

T: 0116 278 2380

Opening Hours:
Monday - Thursday: 9am - 5pm
Friday: 9am-4pm

Sign up To Our Newsletter


Our Services

Specialist Sectors

Cunningtons is a trading name of Cunnington & Co Limited


Registered as Auditors and Regulated for a range of Investment Business Activities in the United Kingdom by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants